Monday, December 10, 2012
10 tips for a successful garage sale
We have had a few garage sales in our time. The last one was on the weekend. We team up with our neighbour and have the whole thing pretty well organised. We both made a very healthy profit, just in time for Christmas.
So here are our top ten tips for a great garage sale.
1. Price everything, I mean EVERYTHING. This makes it so much easier for everybody.
2. Organise and display your goods attractively, this will really help. we like to organise into "departments".
3. Have some things in boxes to hunt through, eg snap lock bags of jewellery or hair clips etc, some people enjoy the thrill of the chase and scrabbling through boxes is their thing.
4.Hang the clothes on hangers, they present so much better. we hang a curtain rod between two ladders, it works a treat!
5. Hang feature goods in prominent spots, it draws people in.
6. Provide shelter. We don't have a carport or garage so in yesterdays 33 degree heat we erected a large sunshade and some shade cloth. People were more comfortable and stayed longer to browse.
7. Join forces, we always have a sale with our neighbour and are happy for others to put some stuff in. The deal is they have to pick up what doesn't sell, the same day. This makes for a greater variety and a more interesting sale.
8.Wear something that lets people know you are the vendors. If people want to ask a question, they know who to go to. My neighbour and I wear matching aprons, (which does tend to make us want to talk like Trude and Prue from Kath and Kim.) Always greet people when then come in.
9. Provide bags for people, its a little thing but much appreciated.
10. If you can offer delivery of big items it might just clinch the sale. We sold a big heavy desk and bbq because it was easy to toss them on the back of the ute and drop them off.
Hope these tips are handy if you are contemplating a sale.
We always have a few funny things happen. It's good, but exhausting fun.
Have you had a garage sale? Any good tips?